As the maker at Shanghai Lil & The Scarlet Fez, I pride myself on a number of key attributes at the heart of our range and believe that our products should always be:
- all natural - that is, made from natural ingredients such as plant-based oils (I choose not to use synthetic ingredients and I never use petroleum based ingredients of course!)
- vegan - no goat's milk, honey, beeswax or other animal ingredients, and not tested on animals (neither the ingredients or the final product)
- ethical - this is a broad one but, as an example, I don't use palm oil (if Greenpeace isn't satisfied the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil is working, then I prefer to avoid using palm oil)
- hand-crafted - that is, I research and develop each one of our products from scratch and I don't use pre-made mixes. It makes my progress slow, but I know what goes into each product and in what proportions. It is what makes our products unique
- South Australian - that's right, made right here in sunny Adelaide
- beautiful - using products with the above attributes can be one of those small pleasures of life. Knowing you have a product which is made from natural ingredients, which is good for your skin and on top of that is packaged beautifully is a small treat.
This leads me to announce, with great pleasure, the release of our range of all natural, vegan lip balms! Some time in the making, I can now show you what they look like, the flavours (natural and organic flavours!) and, as you can see, the wonderful packaging!
I have been working closely with Karena from Magic Jelly, a local artist illustrator and friend of 32 years (!), on the labels for the range of lip balms. Karena's talent for creating beautiful, nostalgic and original designs has, since the beginning of Shanghai Lil & The Scarlet Fez, been the guiding light for our brand. With this range of lip balms, Karena has done it again and created the exact feel I wanted and more - a swoonworthy mix of old world charm and smart modernity. And look at those colours! Thank you, again, Karena!
So, the lip balms come in 8 flavours which I have carefully blended to give you a unique and appealing experience:
- Raspberry Royale - black raspberry and violet
- Caramelised Fig - fig and caramel
- French Pear - pear and vanilla
- Candied Violets - violet and vanilla
- Persian Rose - rose and pomegranate
- Raspberry Mousse - black raspberry and white chocolate
- Jersey Caramel - caramel and cream
- Rose Creme - rose and white chocolate
Each lip balm is made from a luscious blend of oils and butters including cocoa butter, apricot kernel oil, coconut oil, raspberry seed oil (which offers some sun protection) and jojoba. They are lightly sweetened with a natural, plant-based sweetener and flavoured with a hand-mixed blend of natural, organic flavours. You will be hard pressed to find a more natural lip balm on the market!
I will have the lip balms listed in the shop over the next week or so. Shanghai Lil & The Scarlet Fez will also be at the Pure Veg Food and Wine Fair on Saturday, 12 September and the Playhouse Lane Market on Saturday, 19 September. The lip balms are available for $8.50.